Questions copy and pasted from Vanity Fair
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Listening to a song and knowing you’re a better person for hearing it.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
My college education.
7. What is your current state of mind?
It’s like a long sheet hanging by upwards of ten clothespins. At this moment, it’s hanging by three, but it’s still hanging ain’t it?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. On what occasion do you lie?
To avoid confrontation with family members.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I hunch my shoulders a lot.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Just. When. And then.
15. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Henry David Thoreau.
16. When and where were you happiest?
When - 20. 21. 22. Where - In his arms.
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I wouldn’t have diabetes so I could in theory eat a slice of bread without thinking of the greater implications of eating said slice of bread.
19. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
Studs Terkel or Mike Royko
21. Where would you most like to live?
Chicago. I already live here, so I’ve got it made.
22. What is your most treasured possession?
My computer. His name is Murray Burns.
23. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
When you can’t get out of bed in the day but can’t fall asleep at night.
24. What is your favorite occupation?
25. What is your most marked characteristic?
26. What do you most value in your friends?
27. Who are your favorite writers?
George Orwell, John Steinbeck, Amy Hempel, Hunter S. Thompson, Irvine Welsh
28. Who is your hero of fiction?
29. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
James Boswell, only because I’m related to him through some convoluted family line.
30. Who are your heroes in real life?
My great-grandmother, my grandfather, Mayor Daley after the Miegs Field debacle, Joe Strummer, more I can’t think of right now.
31. What are your favorite names?
Katrina, Amara, Charles.
32. What is it that you most dislike?
Meanness and cruelty for the sake of being mean and cruel.
33. What is your greatest regret?
Not taking more advantage of my last year of high school.
34. How would you like to die?
Without too much fanfare. Leave that for the funeral.
35. What is your motto?
1. Treat your surroundings like a tourist, and you’ll never be bored.